Congratulations on your new Eureka Helios 80 espresso grinder. We’ll guide you through the setup so you can start pulling shots!
Join August as he demonstrates how to set up the Eureka Helios 80 Espresso Grinder so you can begin to dial in your favorite coffees.
Step One: Unboxing and Initial Setup
- Unbox your grinder and set it on a stable, level surface, and inspect for damage. If you notice any, contact us immediately. We encourage you to keep all packaging to make for easy returns or repairs.
- Place the hopper into the grinder and open the gate by pushing the tab inward.
- The Helios has a 20 amp plug and requires a 20 amp circuit to run correctly. Use the included adapter if needed but note that the grinder draws more than 15 amps and, even with a converter cable, requires a 20 amp circuit. Consult your electrician when using converters or running multiple appliances off one circuit, like your espresso machine.
- Plug in your grinder and turn it on by using the power switch on the right lower side of the chassis.
- When the grinder is on, the display screen will illuminate. There is a kill switch inside the neck of the grinder as an added safety feature. The grinder will turn off if the hopper is not in place or seated correctly. If the display screen doesn’t turn on, adjust the hopper.
Step Two: Set Timed Dose
- The display screen shows three programmable timed doses and continuous mode along the perimeter of the touchscreen. Use the plus and minus buttons to adjust the dose time of the selected setting. Remember that you may need to change the timed dose setting once you set the grind size. You can stop the grinder at any time while using timed dosing options by using the microswitch. The grinder will flash the remaining time. To clear, hold the selected dose option for several seconds.
Step Three: Advanced Settings
- First, set your preferred language. Press the settings icon above the time on the display screen, then the list icon on the bottom right-hand side. Scroll to the right until you see “Italiano” — here, select your preferred language. Press the back button to save and return to the home screen.
- In your basic settings, you’ll find your counters, with can be reset at any time, the total control system, which allows for password-protect specific settings, dictating what others can and can’t adjust, and firmware information.
- In advanced settings (the list-icon), you can access the partial dose counter reset, screen brightness, and color options. Change those are you prefer.
- The Select Dose setting programs the grinder to return to your chosen dose after grinding. By turning this off, you’ll need to select your desired dose every time before grinding.
- Activation Mode programs the grinder to run when engaging the micro switch only, the display screen, or you can set it to use them interchangeably.
- Burr maintenance reminders can be set and will alert you based on burr size, burr type, and amount of doses.
- Lastly, a factory data reset will erase any changes and return the grinder to its original out-of-box settings.
Step three: Dialing in your grind
- To adjust the grind size finer, move the dial clockwise toward smaller numbers. To move coarser, move counterclockwise toward large numbers.
- Keep in mind that the timed dose may need to be adjusted once the grind size is set.
For help dialing in your grinder for the perfect shot, check out our article How to Dial In Your Espresso Grinder. Please note that Clive Coffee offers a grinder dial-in service if you prefer to have someone else do the work for you. For help pulling great shots, check out our Espresso 101 section to learn how about pulling shots, steaming milk, and more! For maintenance, care, and more information, check out the Eureka Helios 80 User Manual.