Congratulations on your new Eureka Atom 75 Espresso Grinder. Dialing in your coffee grinder isn't always easy. We discuss the steps to fine-tune your burr grinder for the best possible extraction.
Join Victoria as she demonstrates how to set up and dial-in the Eureka Atom 75 Espresso Grinder. Please note that Clive Coffee also offers a grinder dial-in service if you prefer to have someone else do the hard work for you!
Step one: Out of the box and onto the counter
- Remove the grinder from its box and place it on a solid level surface.
- Inspect the grinder for any damage. If you notice any, contact us immediately.
- Insert the hopper and lightly tighten the hopper screw to hold it in place
- Plug the grinder in and turn it on.
Step two: Feeling the coffee
- Put some beans in the hopper and grind them into your hand.
- Feel the grounds. For espresso, they should feel similar to table salt. Not as fine as powdered sugar, and not as coarse as sand.
- If too fine, adjust coarser. Too coarse, adjust finer.
Step three: Dialing the dose
- Once the grind is in the ballpark, it’s time to start pulling shots.
- First, grab a scale and tare the weight of the portafilter.
- Fill your hopper and press the manual grind button in the center of the grinder’s face. Use your portafilter to press and hold the grind button and, when the basket looks relatively full, release it to stop.
- Now weigh the portafilter. Add or remove grounds as necessary to get to 20g if you’re using a triple basket, or 18g if you’re using a double.
Step four: Adjustments - shot time
- Grip the tamper handle as though you were grasping a doorknob. Tamp straight down and simply lean your weight into it comfortably. The amount of pressure is not nearly as important as your consistency and ability to keep the tamp perfectly level so water doesn’t find weak spots.
- Insert your portafilter and start the shot.
- We’re going to be watching for the time of the first drops of espresso to fall between 6 and 10 seconds.
- As the shot progresses, we’ll observe the total shot time: Our target output is 1.5oz (or 30g) liquid espresso in 25 - 30 seconds.
- If it falls under 25 seconds, adjust your grind finer. If it falls over 30 seconds, adjust coarser.
- Make small adjustments. This will be easier than making big changes and overcorrecting.
Step five: Time Dosing
- Now that we have our grind dialed, we can set up the grind timer for consistent and repeatable dosing.
- With the hopper filled, press the dose button you’d like to program.
- To change the time, press the plus and minus buttons.
- Weigh the portafilter again. If the dose is too small, increase the timed setting. If it is too much, decrease it.